The UK wildfire emergency alert sent to millions of phones across England and Wales on Friday evening has triggered an unprecedented government response: a nationwide ban on disposable barbecues, the deployment of around 100 military personnel to South Wales, and a commitment to emergency funding for overstretched fire and rescue services.
Prime Minister Andy Burnham issued the alert after visiting Stourbridge in the West Midlands, where wildfires caused widespread destruction. ‘I was in Stourbridge today and saw first-hand the devastating impact these fires have had on people’s homes and lives,’ he wrote on X. ‘Our priority now is to keep everyone safe and prevent more fires from starting.’
Scale of Destruction at Stourbridge
The numbers coming out of Stourbridge tell the story. According to The Guardian, temperatures reached record highs of 38.1C during what is the country’s fifth consecutive heatwave, creating the conditions for fire to spread fast and far. Sky News reported that fire officer Simon Tuhill estimated the blaze covered an area of approximately 500 acres. In total, 38 domestic properties have been affected by the wildfires in the Stourbridge area, with 19 homes destroyed outright.
Prince William added a personal statement thanking emergency responders. ‘To the firefighters, emergency responders and volunteers battling wildfires across the UK, thank you,’ he said, signing the message with a W. ‘Our thoughts are with everyone affected, particularly those who have lost their homes, and with those working tirelessly to protect communities, homes and the countryside.’
What the UK Wildfire Emergency Alert Actually Said
The alert, sent on a rolling basis from approximately 7pm on Friday, was direct: ‘There is a very high risk of wildfires nationally. Residents, landowners and visitors should not undertake any activity that could start a fire, including disposable barbecues, firepits, garden incinerators or fireworks. Even a small flame can rapidly develop into a major wildfire placing lives, homes, businesses and emergency responders at risk.’
First Secretary Louise Haigh described it as ‘the most extensive use of the UK’s Emergency Alert system in response to an active incident.’ The UK wildfire emergency alert reached phones across both England and Wales, reflecting the breadth of the threat.
Housing Secretary Angela Rayner confirmed a number of firefighters had been taken to hospital following incidents, and announced that her department will hold a summit bringing together fire chiefs, the National Fire Chiefs’ Council, the Fire Brigades Union and other key organisations to plan future response. She also called on insurers to process claims quickly for affected households and businesses.
Northeast Impact: County Durham and Beamish
Closer to home, County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service reported a ‘huge surge’ in incidents during the heatwave and a ‘significant increase’ in outdoor fires. The conditions are testing crews right across the region.
Beamish Museum has suspended steam train operations this weekend, on 15 and 16 August, in line with the national alert. The museum is also asking visitors to refrain from smoking on site and to avoid any activity that could start a fire. ‘Please be mindful of the conditions,’ the museum said in a statement, adding that it looks forward to welcoming visitors back once conditions allow.
What You Need to Do Right Now
The guidance is clear. Do not light fires, open flames, or barbecues in any outdoor space, including parks, moorland and wooded areas. Never leave a household barbecue unattended and ensure it is fully extinguished after use. Dispose of cigarette ends carefully and never throw them from vehicles. Take your litter home, especially glass bottles, which can focus sunlight and ignite dry grass. If you see signs of fire, call 999 immediately.
Retailers have been told to remove disposable barbecues from sale with immediate effect. The ban is temporary and will remain under review, but stays in place while the heightened wildfire risk continues. A further 100 members of the Armed Forces were also set to deploy on Friday evening to support response and recovery in major incident areas.

