The Miley and Steur midfield partnership got its first run-out against Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday, and for everyone backing Newcastle United‘s bold rebuild, it was exactly the kind of glimpse they had been waiting for.
Lewis Miley and Sean Steur started together in a 2-1 pre-season defeat to Leverkusen, and the combination turned heads. Miley looked a physical force in the middle of the park, winning the ball and showing the quality the club have spoken about in private all summer. Steur, the teenager, was positive from first whistle to last: always looking to go forward, consistently threading passes into the front line.
The plan taking shape under Jaissle
This is the vision CEO David Hopkinson, sporting director Ross Wilson and performance director James Bunce have been building towards. Sky Sports reports that Matthias Jaissle replaced Eddie Howe in early August, and Hopkinson has labelled the new head coach a ‘rock star’ and the man to drive ‘Newcastle 2.0’. The summer has been seismic: Bruno Guimaraes, Sandro Tonali and Anthony Gordon have all left, and Kieran Trippier has departed too. The experience walking out of the door has been substantial. What replaces it is a bet on youth, energy, and a new footballing identity.
Steur is central to that bet. According to Sky Sports, the teenager was signed from Ajax for £23m, and he has been the standout performer of pre-season since arriving. At 2-1 defeat to Leverkusen, he backed that billing up on the biggest stage yet. The investment looks a calculated one rather than a gamble: a young player, a clear profile, and a coach trusted to develop him.
Newcastle’s pre-season has not been without its positives on the pitch, either. Yahoo Sports reports that Newcastle opened their summer programme with a 2-1 comeback victory over Valencia, showing a willingness to fight from behind that will have pleased Jaissle’s staff.
Jaissle’s Miley and Steur midfield partnership warning
Jaissle is genuinely excited about Miley. That much was clear at Saturday’s post-match press conference, even as he delivered a measured caution. ‘First of all, we need to be careful,’ Jaissle told Chronicle Live. ‘This young lad came back now from an injury and had a couple of training sessions, played now the first 45 minutes. I don’t want to give him a huge responsibility and pressure and you should also not give him that from outside.’
He then added: ‘He has so much potential, we need to let him grow, develop naturally, he gets the full support but I am very much looking forward to seeing him 100 per cent fit and ready because of his qualities. He is a true talent.’
The warning ended with a smile. That told its own story.
Miley, who has already made 85 appearances for the first team in the Premier League and Champions League, signed a new six-year deal this summer. At 20 years old, he is the potential midfield heartbeat of everything Hopkinson and his team are trying to build. With Guimaraes and Tonali gone, the keys to Newcastle’s midfield need a new owner. Jaissle hinted that Miley is the man, pointing to leadership as part of the conversation too.
‘We can just encourage the players to refill these positions,’ Jaissle said when asked about a potential leadership vacuum in the squad. ‘The current squad needs to step into these positions, taking more responsibility even if they are young lads. When you see today, Lewis Miley, for instance, he could be a guy that needs to step then into these roles without giving him too much pressure, because he is just a young lad. It is a big chance for other players.’
The Miley and Steur midfield partnership is still raw. Saturday was a first 45 minutes together, nothing more. Jaissle is right to pace the expectations. But with a game against Strasbourg next before Liverpool arrive, the pair look like front runners to be given another chance to prove the project has legs.

